Translate

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

D is for Dachtera - A to Z Challenge



D is for Dachtera, my maiden name.  Alternate spelling: B-R-I-C-K--W-A-L-L.

 
That’s an exaggeration. It’s probably more like a wooden blockade– a tall, thick wooden blockade.


Using BaSIA, I am able to see where that surname is concentrated in Poland.  Years ago I spent untold hours scouring FHL films looking for records of my great grandfather, Joseph Dachtera in Parkowo and Oborniki just northeast of Poznan.  I created a detailed spreadsheet listing almost 150 individuals with that surname and worked hard at trying to isolate my great grandfather with no success.  I gave up in frustration and went on to other research.

But that was more than 10 years ago when I was just beginning my genealogy journey. I’ve learned a lot since then about research techniques and 19th century Polish surname conventions, or lack of conventions. 

Great Grandpa Joseph Dachtera is my next project.  Armed with better knowledge and capabilities, maybe I’ll find an open gate in that blockade.



No comments:

Post a Comment